Thursday, June 27, 2013

Micro Lesson #2 - Assessment of Learning

The students should have fun developing storyboards but they must understand the underlying lessons being taught.  To assess the success of this learning, I have created a ticket out questionnaire for the students to fill out after the unit is complete.  The first question will gauge the student's understanding of how art (in this case the storyboard) can express meaning or purpose.  The second question asks the students to identify the three crucial parts of a story.  Their answers should be "beginning, middle, and end."  This knowledge is essential in writing a story and they must come to understand that this lesson is about just that.  The last question asks the students to identify the 3 main components of a story board (frame, scene number, text).  This is part of the art lesson and speaks to the standard of communicating an idea. 

This lesson requires 5 30-minutes sessions to complete.  While presenting it to my class, I had trouble altering the lesson to take just 10-15 minutes to complete.  I was able to use examples I had created to show my classmates what my students would produce, but I feel this is a lesson that simply cannot be done in such a short amount of time. 

My classmates said I had done a good job, so I believe they understood what direction I was going with it and the lesson plan itself made sense and is easy to interpret.  At the same time, my classmates did not have the time to complete the lesson and therefore could not really judge my ability to teach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment